Interior Minister Othman al-Ghanemi said Thursday that a thorough investigation had been opened into the Meqdadiya incident.
"Al-Ghanemi, accompanied by a high-level security delegation including the Minister of Immigration and Displaced people, the National Security Adviser, the Army Chief of Staff and the Deputy Commander of Joint Operations, arrived in Diyala province to offer condolences and visit families of the victims of the terrorist attack in Meqdadiya, who were martyred and wounded," the interior ministry's media office said in a statement received by the official Iraqi News Agency.
"The condolences of the prime minister and the commander-in-chief of the armed forces, Mustafa al-Kadhimi, are to these families in the village of Al-Rashad and the village of Nahr al-Imam," al-Ghanemi said, adding that "the blood of the martyrs will not go to waste and the punishments will be imposed on criminals from ISIS terrorist gangs."
"A thorough investigation has been opened into the terrorist attack," he said.
Immigration and Displaced people said that "All measures and procedures will be taken to resolve the situation of displaced persons in these areas.”