Karbala Operations commander, Maj. Gen. Ali Al-Hashimi directed on Sunday, to cut off all entrances to the Old City in preparation for the Arbaeen pilgrimage .
"The commander of Karbala operations, Major General Ali Al-Hashimi, directed to cut off all entrances to the Old City, to secure religious processions and protect pilgrims heading to the province for commemorating the rituals of Arbaeen of Imam Hussein( peace be upon him)," said a reporter for the Iraqi News Agency (INA).
Law enforcement department at the Holy shrine announced earlier that all preparations to implement the security plan for the pilgrimage of Imam Hussein (peace be upon him) had been completed in order to maintain the security and safety of pilgrims.
Imam Hussein holly shrine opened safe corridors and streets to facilitate the smooth movement of pilgrims, and formed a joint operations body with the security authorities to secure the rituals, in addition to working together with the rest of the sections and divisions of the shrine for the purpose of providing the best health and medical services, said the head of the law enforcement department at the holly shrine Rasul Abbas Fadala.
More than 6,000 volunteers are participating in securing the rituals this year, spread across the entrances of the holly shrine and the main checkpoints leading to it.