INA – BAGHDAD
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has set on Wednesday, the next Wed. March, as the date for the start of Al-Hadba Minaret reconstruction in Mosul.
"The start of rebuilding Al-Hadba minaret, Al-Sa'a and Al-Tahira churches in Mosul will start next March," said UNESCO in a statement, which was followed by the Iraqi News Agency (INA).
Al-Hadba minaret is one of the most famous monuments in Mosul, which was destroyed in 2017 by Daesh terrorist gangs.
Directorate of Antiquities in Mosul announced last January that excavation teams had discovered the floors of an ancient chapel dating back to the twelfth century, under Al-Nuri Mosque, above which Al-Hadba minaret was located.
"After three years of intensive preparatory work, UNESCO will be ready to begin the reconstruction of the minaret and the two churches," included the statement.
This announcement came by UNESCO and the UAE, which is co-financing the project to restore the minaret, the mosque and the two churches, after a visit to Mosul this week by UNESCO Assistant Director-General for Cultural Affairs, Ernesto Otuni Ramirez.
"Audrey Azoulay, Director-General of UNESCO, will travel to Mosul specifically to initiate these works," quoted the statement to Ramirez.
An official in the organization said, according to the statement, that "it is also scheduled to start the reconstruction of Al-Nuri Mosque between late June and early July, with all work to be completed by the end of 2023,"
He added that "UNESCO has so far collected $110 million to revive the spirit of Mosul", the project launched by the organization in 2018 to restore the monuments.